Milk is the first thing that we had (from mother) when we came to earth, and ever since then milk has been an integral part of everyone’s life. Milk in itself is a whole food to be precise; it has a lot of nutrients that are extremely beneficial for the health of the human being. Talking about health benefits of milk, there are innumerable health benefits associated with it from pregnancy to new born it is crucial for everyone (except of course people who are lactose intolerant). When I had extreme pain in my knees, I was recommended at least 4 cups of Luke warm milk every day by the orthopedics and same was the case with one of my friend who had terrible back pain, and yes, my mother who had joint pain. Although, finding pure milk was a daunting task but all the hard work paid off well as we witnessed improvement in overall health, shiny hair, and glowing skin.
Now, there is a wide variety of milk available in the market like powdered milk, whole milk, skimmed milk, partly skimmed milk, low-fat milk, fat free milk, organic milk, and so on but my personal favorite has been the milk from the local cow shed a few kilometers from my place, it is the purest form of milk and I swear by it.
So here is the list of benefits of having milk that I am enjoying since I had my first glass of milk:
- Provides Calcium
First one is, of course, we know this one calcium, and yeah a cup of milk contains around 290 mg of calcium which is 1/4th or 1/3rd of the requirement of a normal adult body per day. Now this means healthy bones, strong hair, strong nails, and strong teeth. It is helpful in muscular, circulatory as well as digestive system. Calcium intake is especially important for pregnant women and women who are above 50 years. It also supports synthesis and functioning of the blood vessels. So, all these requirements are fulfilled by just one glass of milk, just think how healthy it could be for you as well.
- Must for Pregnant Woman
Milk contains vitamin A, B1, B2, B12, potassium, magnesium, protein, zinc, carbohydrates and so on, hence is a must have for every pregnant woman. Let’s talk about each of the above one by one
- Vitamin A: Important for growth and development as well as maintenance of the immune system and good for eyes.
- Vitamin B1: Also known as thiamine is used basically to extract and utilize the carbohydrates and proteins from the food. It used to extract the energy from the food we intake.
- Vitamin B2: Also known as riboflavin acts as an antioxidant within the body. Boosts metabolism, maintains healthy blood cells, helps in growth of the body, protecting eyes and skin, prevents and treats anemia and boosts the energy level in the person.
- Vitamin B12: Helps in keeping the nerves and red blood cells healthy, boost energy, gives shiny hair, glowing skin, boosts memory, energy level, heart, digestive system and so on.
- Potassium: It helps in maintaining fluid and electrolyte balance, it is a required mineral for the overall health of the being including heart, brain, and muscles and keeping the body hydrated all time. An adequate amount is needed by the body.
- Magnesium: It is required in energy metabolism, blood sugar control, blood pressure control, production of antioxidant glutathione, protein synthesis, and nerve function.
- Protein: It helps you maintain the blood sugar level, helps you to concentrate, boost your energy level and that is the reason it is recommended to take a protein shake after a workout. Protein also helps to reduce and maintain the fat and body weight.
- Zinc: Although a small amount of this metal is necessary for daily intake a deficiency can be really harmful it might turn you infertile because zinc is useful in hormone production. And it also helps in digestion repairs and maintains the hormones, builds’ your immunity system and is also known to fight certain chronic diseases like cancer or heart diseases. There are lot other benefits of this metal. It affects helps in healthy central nervous system, skeleton, reproductive, immune system etc.
- Carbohydrates: It provides energy, prevents various diseases like type-2 diabetes, obesity, indigestion, keeping cholesterol under control preventing heart diseases if taken in a limit. Yes, you need to take it in limited quantity.
- Men’s Best Friend
Consuming just 1-2 glasses of milk a day can make you a beast in bed. Milk contains all the essential nutrients required for a healthy sexual life. Studies have proved that men who drink milk on daily basis, fall less prone to erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation and other sexual drive problems. Plus, there are proofs which show that milk also improves sperm count if consumed twice daily. So, what are you looking for? Grab a glass full of milk before it’s gone.
- Prevents Osteoporosis
Studies have shown that regular intake of milk helps in reducing the cardiovascular diseases meaning a healthy heart and reduction of the chances of a heart stroke. It has been proven that for preventing bone related problems and osteoporosis regular consumption of milk is essential. Milk contains a high amount of calcium and is recommended for kids and adults. For oral health as well milk is recommended, milk is proven to protect the enamel on the teeth preventing it from decay due to acidic substances. And hence the kids should regularly consume the same for strong teeth and gums.
- Improves Skin Tone
Milk provides various beauty benefits; believe it or not, milk improves the overall well being including the beauty element. Healthy hair, clean and healthy teeth and glowing skin, this is what milk provides. You can, like many other women of the world apply it directly to the skin. If you are feeling too dry dab a cotton ball into milk and apply over your face and leave for about 15 minutes then wash off with tap water. You are definitely going to glow the whole time. If you like, you can add some honey or essential oils into the milk and then apply or prepare some face pack with this magic ingredient for more benefits. Your skin will turn lustrous and supple and soft.
- Increases Immunity Power
The sixth one is immunity, yes many studies have shown that milk builds’ immunity, just add a small amount of turmeric into a glass of warm milk and you are good to go. It has been proven that turmeric is antiseptic and helps fight various injuries. Yes, it works wonders to the injuries, pains, as it has healing properties and adding this to milk, works wonders.
- Helpful for Body Builder
The proteins found in milk are also essential for improving muscle growth. In addition to this, the proteins help rejuvenate the sore muscles and refresh lost fluids. So, an advice to all the budding body builders, try and have three glasses of milk a day, this will surely improve the muscle growth speed of your body, plus it would also improve your stamina during workout.
- Helps fight Depression
Yes milk helps in fighting depression as well. Believe it or not, milk triggers those happy hormones and helps a person to get rid of his depression. One may include just one glass of milk per day (preferably before bed) and see the change in mood in just a few days. It not only helps improve mood, but also gives the much required power to fight against several disease that build up due to depression in and around the body.
What are you waiting for grab the glass of milk preferably luke warm milk and have it any time of the day preferably before 7 pm for the best results.
Stay Healthy, Stay Happy..!!
I like to spend time with nature along with writing and reading a lot of informative things that helps me improve myself.
Latest posts by Latika Sharma (see all)
- 8 Natural Home Remedies to Cure Dengue Fever - July 14, 2017
- 10 Best Remedies to Cure Arthritis Pain at Home; Natural Tips - November 20, 2015
- Top 8 Health Benefits of Eating Avocado on Body and Skin; Natural Tips - October 30, 2015