Nature beholds treatment of every disease. Have you ever wondered how people use to cure their problems before the development of science and medicine? Though at that time life was simple, people followed a healthy life style, like waking up early and walking or cycling a certain distance instead of using motors and this thing use to keep them close to nature as well. There are many herbs and plants which were part of living at that point of time, which use to help them in diseases and bless with good health, but have lost their place in today’s modern times. One such plant is “GILOY” or may call it “Heart-Leaved Moonseed”, in some places it is also known as Amrita which actually means “the way to immortality”, because of its magical medical properties. The scientific name of Giloy is Tinospora Cordifolia.
The leaves, stem and even the roots of Giloy are helpful in curing a number of diseases. Giloy is a plant with uncountable benefits. In this article I have tried to pin out some of the most amazing benefits of this magical plant.
- Immunity Booster: Giloy is the powerhouse of anti-oxidants which helps in purifying blood and fighting bacteria. It helps our body get rid of toxins and helps in skin rejuvenation. It also averts aging. Giloy is a boon for those suffering from liver and urinary tract infections.
- Alleviate Chronic Fever: The anti-pyretic nature of Giloy is helpful in reducing the symptoms of dengue, swine-flu and malaria. Giloy consumption increases the blood platelets count in body and hence curbs dengue.
- Increase digestive power: Digestive system is very important part of our body, in fact, our face reflects digestive system. A person with healthy digestive system will be more active and productive. Giloy takes very good care of our digestive system. Adding Giloy and Amla mixture (either as powder or as juice) in your morning routine will help you combat constipation, acidity, heart-burn naturally. Giloy juice also gives relief in piles.
- Reduce blood-sugar level: If you are suffering from diabetes, Giloy consumption will do wonders for you. Giloy acts as a hypoglycaemic agent and helps in reducing blood sugar level. It also helps lower level of blood-pressure and lipids in our body.
- Antidote for respiratory problems: The anti-inflammatory features of Giloy are helpful in the medication of frequent cold, cough and tonsils which frequently happen to a number of people due to changing weather. Giloy can also cure Asthma; even doctors recommend roots of Giloy to asthmatic patients.
- Improves eye-sight: Giloy is very helpful in increasing vision clarity. In today’s modern life-style, a part of our daily routine is dedicated to television, computer or mobile phones, all of which are very harmful for eyes. Giloy can save you from two more artificial eyes (talking of spectacles). Boil Giloy-powder or Giloy-leaves in water, let the mixture cool down. Applying this on eye-lids helps in surging vision.
- Helpful in Periods: It is not easy to deal with excessive bleeding during menstruation or after abortion or delivery. Heavy bleeding can lead to weakness and several other problems in women. Taking Giloy leaves and stems after consulting your doctor will be surely beneficial. The herb is even helpful in treating infertility.
- Bless you with both Beauty and Brain: In today’s hectic life, having stress or anxiety is not a thing of surprise. Giloy has the power to free you from brain-toxins and calm your mood. Giloy is really good as a stress buster. Giloy is thus recommended for students as it helps in increasing the concentration and hence memory and learning power.
Giloy can gift you with flawless, pimple free, clear and glowing skin. It has anti-aging properties; hence adding Giloy to your routine can help one look young and beautiful. Even if one is suffering from any kind of skin disease, have Giloy-Neem-Amla juice for fifteen days or a month, your skin will then show the magical powers of Giloy.
- Helpful for arthritis patients: Giloy has anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic properties that help treat arthritis and its several symptoms. For joint pain, the powder from Giloy stem can be boiled with milk and consumed. It really helps get rid of the unbearable joint pain and it also helps greasing up the joints – the reason of joint pains.
These are some of the tested and applied benefits of Giloy, but before we end up – A Word of Caution. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, then it’s always better to avoid Giloy. Since, it is not known whether Giloy has any harmful effects on the body during this period, but it is always wise to stay on the safer side. Also, for diabetic patients, consuming Giloy for longer term may lower blood-sugar or blood-pressure levels, so monitor blood-sugar levels regularly. Though Giloy is a natural herb and has no serious side-effects but Giloy may over-stimulate the immune system and make it more active. This can result in an escalation of symptoms of autoimmune diseases such as lupus (SLE or systemic lupus erythematosus), multiple sclerosis, and rheumatoid arthritis. If you suffer from any of these conditions, it is best to refrain Giloy.
But over and above these short comings, Giloy can be considered as a diamond out of the treasure box that nature beholds! Now a day, you may easily get Giloy capsules or powder in market. Many big brands including Indian Natural Major – Patanjali has also launched Giloy-Amla Juice, so even if you can’t find a Giloy plant in your nearby area, you can rely on these options.
Nature itself is the best physician! At least once try this natural herb and share with us your own experience, we look forward for your response.
Love to read books and travelling.
Latest posts by Abhilasha Ajmera (see all)
- Heart-Leaved Moonseed, Guduchi or Giloy’s Uses & Natural Benefits for Health - April 10, 2017
- 15 Best and Effective Remedies to get rid of Backache; Simple Health & Fitness Solutions - September 23, 2015
- Diet tips for Pregnancy – Healthy Mother, Healthy Child - August 16, 2016