As all know, flowers are the loveliest objects on earth. Amongst them Rose is the Queen. Rose has been used in rituals by all castes and creeds for centuries. It is used as a motif in architecture, in jewelery, pottery and embroidery. Now rose is used as a medicine for acidity and many other illness.Rose , is a flower with great health benefits . Its petals are used in the form of rose-water , or gulkand (rose –jam) . Just using some rose –petals with water can help fight the problem of piles .
“Gul” means rose and “kand “ means sweet .Gulkand is a sweet preserve of rose petals, is an ayurvedic medicine and Indian traditional recipe used for skin , constipation in pregnancy and kids , acidity , gastritis , ulcer ,indigestion , acne, foul body odor , palpitation, hypertension , nosebleed, stress etc .Gulkand is very much liked by small children . It is also used as an ingredient in various mouth fresheners like ‘paan’ .
Some health benefits of GULKAND are :
- Gulkand has cooling properties , thus it is benefitial in alleviating all heat related problems like tiredness, lethargy, itching, aches and pains. It also helps in reducing burning sensations in the soles and palms.
- Gulkand helps in reducing hyperacidity . The heat in Gastro-canal can be removed by gulkand . In swelling and ulcer of intestines , the acidity shows up in black blemishes on forehead , dark cicles around eyes , loss of hair etc , gulkand can help us in fighting against all these problems , by removing toxins from the blood.
- Nose-bleeding , hemorrhage , vomiting of blood , excess menstrual discharge , frequent abortions etc are the indications where in gulkand gives excellent cooling . It produces a sweet juice during digestion process which is very benefitial for our intestines , improving digestion and metabolism . In many cases , when pimples arise due to heat in the blood , the use of Gulkand removes the heat from the intestines . This removes pimples and old blemishes.
- Gulkand helps in increasing memory power and improving eyesight power.
- Gulkand is a powerful antioxidant and a very good rejuvenator.
- Consumption of gulkand helps in reducing to excessive perspiration and foul body odour.
- Having two teaspoons of gulkand before going out, can help toprevent sunstroke and controls nostril-bleeding.
- Since it gives coolness to our blood , it is good to use gulkand when we are stressed out .
- It is good for all those individuals who havewater retention problem, as it helps in increasing the urine output.
- Gulkand corrects sperm defects in males like weak or less sperms .
- It reduces women problems like heavy menses and heavy white discharge.
- Rose has conducive effect on heart and hence can be given to patients suffering from various cardiac problems as ‘anupan’ with various other drugs. Gulkand acts as a catalyst and facilitates effective uptake of these medicines by the body and thus help control various heart ailments like palpitation, arrhythmia and hypertension or high blood pressure.
- If consumed in small amount it helps reduce the frequency of motions but acts as a laxative if taken in large quantities. Hence it can be used to treat both loose motions as well as constipation.
- Other substances added in it like corals or pearls are good sources of calcium and help strengthen the bones. Small quantities of silver is also added which is potent metal to increase the intellectual capacity.
- It can be used to reduce side effects of allopathic drugs such as antibiotics, anticancer drugs etc.
- The above benefits are experienced only if gulkand is consumed in a dose of 10-12 grams a day on a regular basis. The beauty of this formulation is that it is very tasty and versatile. It can be eaten as it is or with a glass of milk. It can be used to make sweet meats, milk shakes or used as a filling for cakes and pastries. You will not have to run behind the children to give them their morning dose of this refreshing summer tonic.Chances are that they will be pestering you to give them some more of it.
- It is seen that daily consumption of gulkand has kept the blood-pressure under control and reduced the chances of heart-attacks .
Thus, it is a tasty desert with wonderful health benefits . But diabetic persons should consult a doctor before using it . And also remember , although it is a dish with great health benefits , its overuse may be harmful .